NSG 6005 Week 2 Assignment 1 Discussion
Select one of the two questions from the discussion questions listed below .By Week 2, Day 3, respond to the selected discussion question and submit your response to this Discussion Area .
Be sure to respond to the question using the lessons and vocabulary found in the reading .Justify your answers using examples and reasoning .Support your answers with examples and research and cite your research using APA format .
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible .Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts .Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion .
NSG 6005 Week 2 Assignment 1 Discussion Question 1
Many patients ask for nonprescription medications to use for various health problems, such as insomnia, depression, pain, memory, and anxiety .Select one patient complaint (for example, insomnia) and review the major herbs that have been recommended for treatment .Go to the South University Online Library and locate at least one peer-reviewed research article designed to study the effects of one of these substances .Describe the study and results and explain how this would influence your action as an APN .
NSG 6005 Week 2 Assignment 1 Discussion Question 2
Go to the Internet and locate the website for any medication of interest to you .Go to the prescribing directions and locate the section that reports the pharmacology of the medication .Describe the information presented on pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of that drug .Explain all of the areas that are reported in this document, including enzyme activity; medication onset and duration of action; area under the curve; and absorption and distribution, including maximal plasma concentrations .Describe if the medication should be taken with or without food and why .To adequately respond to this question, you must look at the package insert from the company; no other sources will contain the extent of information you need .
NSG 6005 Week 2 Assignment 2 Quiz
1 .Question :A patient’s nutritional intake and lab work reflect hypoalbuminemia .This is critical to prescribing because:
- Distribution of drugs to target tissue may be affected
- The solubility of the drug will not match the site of absorption
- There will be less free drug available to generate an effect
- Drugs bound to albumin are readily excreted by the kidney
Question 2 .Drugs that have a significant first-pass effect:
- Must be given by the enteral (oral) route only
- Bypass the hepatic circulation
- Are rapidly metabolized by the liver and may have little if any desired action
- Are converted by the liver to more active and fat-soluble forms
Question 3 .An advantage of prescribing a sublingual medication is that the medication is:
- Absorbed rapidly
- Excreted rapidly
- Metabolized minimally
- Distributed equally
Question 4 .Which one of the following statements about bioavailability is true?
- Bioavailability issues are especially important for drugs with narrow therapeutic ranges or sustained release mechanisms .
- All brands of a drug have the same bioavailability .
- Drugs that are administered more than once a day have greater bioavailability than drugs given once daily .
- Combining an active drug with an inert substance does not affect bioavailability .
Question 5 .The route of excretion of a volatile drug will likely be:
- The kidneys
- The lungs
- The bile and feces
- The skin